To Any New Readers:

Please scroll down to the first posts so you can get caught up with the vintage mission!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Wishlist


One disadvantage to having so many cool patterns--gasp!--is that there is never enough time to be using them all! In addition, there is often never enough money to supply fabric for them! Tragic indeed. That's why I keep wishlists of projects I really, really want to do. They remain unsewn for various reasons, but my wish is that I will find both the means and the time to complete them when the calling is strong.

Simplicity #8130- The Essential Coat - 1969


Really, to me, there is nothing more quintessentially vintage than having THIS COAT in the loudest and most wonderfully obnoxious plaid you can imagine (okay, a sophisticated and earthy plaid would work just as well); hence the reason I purchased this pattern... 2 or 3 years ago. Sigh. Maybe it's the fact that I have yet to find that dream plaid for this coat. Or, the fact that it would not be one of my bang-it-out-in-one-night projects. But oh, it's calling. And one day, I shall answer.


Simplicity 5702- 1964


Pure class. I'm a particular fan of the three-quarter-sleeved view. Clean lines, clear body shape, that's what it's all about. Sure, the example makes it out to be a little formal (who cares?), but for those of you who might be a little anti-schmance, one could easily turn this cute little number into a casual one just by picking the right fabric and the right print. Although, I do think this would make the best accessory either way, don't you? (heh)

Simplicity 2441- The Classic Swimsuit- 1947(?!!)


Oh, dear. I think I just had a pattern collector's heart attack. First, let me explain that this particular photo of the pattern is not mine, as mine is in poor, sad condition and I wanted it to be seen in its full glory. So I used the best pattern site of all-time to look up its date of print, and oh man it's 1947. "So what?", you say? Well, I've always had this thing about pre-1950 patterns. I mean, when you go back that far, they're really old; that age is something that requires a different kind and a certain amount of respect. They're almost creepy. Not in an evil way, just in a very, very delicate kind of way where you know it is somehow connected to someone else. So, I misjudged this as a 1950s pattern; finding out that the ripped and torn envelope of my actually 1947 pattern is just a wee bit heartbreaking. IN ANY CASE: here we have yet another example of pure CLASS. I can just see this in classic black or some kind of adorable polka-dotted fabric. Vintage dreams.

2 comments:

  1. I really need to find a less legally gray method of getting you into a particular abandonment I frequent - lots of clothes there that I imagine you'd absolutely go crazy for. Shoes, too. And roller skates. Lots of roller skates, actually. :x

    ReplyDelete
  2. REALLY?! That sounds amazing. If only it wasn't illegal! haha.

    ReplyDelete