To Any New Readers:

Please scroll down to the first posts so you can get caught up with the vintage mission!

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Vintage Journey- First Dress

Back again to 2005 we go, and two annoyingly-waisted gored skirts are the only garments in my repertoire. What do I want now? More, more!! How about a dress?, I ask Mrs. Ferguson. Why, certainly! Make your first dress!, she says.

The Pattern:

1970. Princess seams. General awesomeness, right?


Pffffffft. WRONG. Yeah, the awesomeness kind of goes away oh, I don't know, instantly when you choose fabric for an adult's dress that really should be for a five-year-old (or someone's couch-- just wait til I post the second version I made of this.) I know, polka dots are awesome, but if used in certain ways, they just don't work. I often have a problem of picking fabrics that I love visually, but in the end will look hideous or ridiculous as that garment. I wish I could shrink this and give it to my 6-year-old cousins. Definitely does not exude the hotness that the long-sleeved white version (see lower left corner on pattern) does. Maybe I'll try again one day. Currently, this one's for sale on my etsy- see right side of blog for link.

Oh, and if this says anything about this dress-- the only time I ever wore it was during this number in my college musical theatre review. Bright, bubbly, and cheesy.

Garment Features:
Princess Seams
Hand-Sewn Hem
Back Zipper Closure

No comments:

Post a Comment