To Any New Readers:

Please scroll down to the first posts so you can get caught up with the vintage mission!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Beginning

And so it begins, my first blog. Naturally, I fear my own lack of writing abilities will interfere with anyone's interest in the blog, but in this one, the pictures are what matters!

I am going to take you through my journey of past and present vintage sewing projects that have helped me satisfy my need to connect with decades of the past.

My goal with each project is to meet that need, in addition to expanding my sewing skills and hopefully adding a little modern twist to each garment-- something I have to practice so I don't appear completely out of touch with my middle school students ;-).

I'll start with today's finished project: vintage hip-hugger wide-leg pants.

Oh, pants. How I love thee.

Maybe it's because they're so easy to make (not that I don't appreciate a good challenge!), or because they're just so...wearable. And, in my opinion, there's nothing like a good pair of wide legs...especially if they're from a 1973 pattern!

I only have one beef with many vintage bottom-half articles of clothing: the high waist. Unfortunately, not a fan... unless the waistband is super comfortable. Anyway, anyway! On to the good part:


Purchased from an awesome lady on ebay for nice and cheap (as it should be!) Vintage hunters: if you too are looking for lower-waisted pants, look for the words hip hugger and you'll be in business. In this case it's "made to be worn two inches below the normal waistline."

Long story short, Hancock fabrics-->cotton twill-->seams and topstitching and hemming and a few hours later...


Yey. Notice they're nowhere near as wide as the ones on the pattern. Yeah, that's my tweaking. Can't wait until fall so these can become a staple in the teacher wardrobe!

This garment's features:
  • Hand-stitched hem
  • Front zipper with snap closure
  • Hip-hugger waistband

No comments:

Post a Comment