To Any New Readers:

Please scroll down to the first posts so you can get caught up with the vintage mission!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

First Vintage Itch- The Gored Skirt

First of all, I'd like to thank my super talented and self-taught sewer grandmother, Helen Stewart for sparking an interest in me as a kid and teaching me the basics. But without Mrs. Ferguson at Northeast High School, I wouldn't have the necessary skills I have today.

In my senior year of high school in clothing construction, we had to complete a required 2 projects, and then we could do what we wanted. But I was already pretty good and really into it, and I asked Mrs. F if I could use my own pattern... and oh, could it be a vintage pattern? They really are SO much cooler in every way possible-- the actual fashions (of course), the set-up of the patterns, the directions are much clearer-- I could sing their praises all day. So, Mrs. F was loving my interest in "her" era, so...

Enter Butterick 6994, Circa early 70s.

(I didn't take this picture. I'll start scanning my own patterns soon, promise.)

Despite its annoying waistband (Mrs. F. suggested I made a wider one-- mistake), I wore it pretty often and sadly now it doesn't fit, but it's a keepsake from a great time in my life and it's not going anywhere. (I also made a red version that's a little shorter. I think it's hiding, though.)

2005. Looking a little too patriotic
for my liking.

This garment's features:
  • Hand-stitched hem
  • Back zipper closure with hooks and eyes
  • Natural Waistband

2 comments:

  1. I am always at a loss for what to do with my projects when they no longer fit. I think some of them have sneakily ended up in the goodwill pile anyway, not by my hand. I can't find the first dress I made with grandma anymore. And a lot of the projects I made in college have disappeared...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's tough because you'd never just throw them away, and giving them to Goodwill-- well, who would know they were handmade with love? I just want to try to give them to people I know or sell them on Etsy if they're funky enough.

    ReplyDelete