To Any New Readers:

Please scroll down to the first posts so you can get caught up with the vintage mission!

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Return of the Decade Displaced

Let's try and forget just how long it's been since I've posted anything. Let's really try and forget how long it's been since I've sewn anything (for myself) and actually finished it. I realized today that the finishing parts of a project-- the hemming, any other hand sewing, attaching fasteners, etc.-- is the part I actually dislike and that's probably the reasons I have 3 or 4 beautiful dresses I've made over the years waiting sadly on hangers in my closet because they need hemming, facings need tacking down, etc...

Such was not the case today, as I was determined to start AND completely finish my first real personal project in a long time. This year, I got rid of my cable because I'm too poor to afford it now and thus have been relying on Netflix and Hulu. Cue my Brady Bunch Binge of December 2015. Every time I watch, especially during the last season, I go nuts wondering WHERE in the world their old wardrobes are now stored, especially Marcia and Jan's. The wide-leg pants in Season 5 leave me a pants-obsessed crazy seamstress, ready to strike.

Arrgh, need yellow. NEED. 

Plaid, wondrous plaid. 

In the last year, I have also taken back my hatred for high-waisted clothing. I'm not sure what I was thinking a few years ago, but little did I realize just how flattering and funky high-waisted pants and skirts can look if you do them right. I think I always just associated high-waist pants with Mom Jeans and immediately shunned all others as a result. 

I'm glad these ladies are feeling confident despite the poor cut of their jeans. It can be so much better than this!

So, as I usually do when I'm on a mission, I don't stop until I find what I need. Enter this:

Vintage Simplicity 6354, circa 1974

Score! And, as per usual, I misread things, and I bought it thinking the entire pattern was "Sized for Stretch Knits Only," but alas, it's just the halter top view. No matter, I was armed and ready with this:

Vintage 70s double-knit plaid fabric!

Ahhh, polyester! And not the icky kind. This is a nice, heavy, fall/winter fabric that will serve me well until it gets too warm. Three freakin' yards of it and I better be making a skirt, shorts, and a table runner with all I have left!

After shoveling snow, baking cookies for the neighbor who helped me, and getting everything set up, I got started. Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE making pants? It's such a relatively easy, short thing to do. This had only 3 pieces to it (there was a pocket, but I skipped it-- it was just for decoration). My biggest concern was matching the plaid; something you don't know if you did correctly until it's all put together.

My cousin and I have a lot of vintage notions from our grandma, and they have saved me in a pinch quite a few times. Here an awesome vintage zipper and some seam binding-- gotta love the packaging!




Things like these, not to mention the smell of the old paper of the pattern, is enough to send you into vintage euphoria heaven.

Fast forward to the best part: the end! I had to do some taking in of the side seams. Since going vegan, I have dropped an entire vintage size (chill out, it's like a half an inch difference in measurements), and now most of my patterns are just too big, this one included, but it doesn't come any smaller. But, no matter, I am the queen of taking in. 5/8" on each side was all it needed to fit perfectly. They barely needed hemming, which was great. Can't wait to wear them to school and hear all of the *interesting* comments from my students! Oh, and look at that matched plaid!




It's really hard to take pictures of your own outfit...


Garment Features:
Hip-hugger waist
Snap and zipper closing
Hand-stitched hem




No comments:

Post a Comment