To Any New Readers:

Please scroll down to the first posts so you can get caught up with the vintage mission!

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hooray for High Waists

Back in my first years of sewing, I was very much against high-waisted skirts and pants. I thought they were uncomfortable and unattractive. I would always wear my shirts over them rather than tucking them into the skirt as they should be worn. But high-waisted items are coming back in style. Pair that with a new boost of confidence and my own sense of style changing, I've declared, "bring on the high waists!" I think my recent renewal of my Brady Bunch obsession (Hallmark Channel every day, 5-8pm!) has helped inspire this in me as well.

Enter Vintage McCall's 2050, circa 1969:
(Not my picture.)


I've had this pattern for years, I couldn't even tell you where I got it. Maybe even from the drama closet in high school. Nonetheless, I never ventured to make it for the very reason of the high waistline. 

I bought some spring-colored striped fabric, but changed my mind when I saw some super retro striped fabric I had bought years ago for shorts and never made. The end result:

Unfortunately, this project had to be documented with an unfortunately-named "selfie." Shudder.
I thought it would be fun to add the orange trim at the bottom to match the waistband. Can't you tell I've been watching WAY too much Brady Bunch?

Garment Features:
Natural Waistband
Hook and eye closure
Hem Trim
Awesome lime green zipper 

No comments:

Post a Comment