To Any New Readers:

Please scroll down to the first posts so you can get caught up with the vintage mission!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

You Were Supposed to Convince Me NOT to Use A Knit...

So, I finally took the plunge-- I am no longer a virgin to using knit fabrics. For those of you who aren't familiar, knit fabrics are basically stretchy ones and woven fabrics are not. I had made up my mind pretty much right away when I saw this was going to be my next project that a knit would be a must. The design of it was just screaming for a perfect fit, and that meant clingy, stretchy fabric.

There was annoyance. There was torture in the initial lack of instructions for knits in my sewing machine manual; there was a lot of going "ARRRRGGGGHHH" and other such grunts, but, here we have it: Vintage Simplicity #8381, Circa 1969:



Did I ever mention that I HATE taking these "final result" shots? They always look goofy and never accurately display the final product in its true awesomeness. Bad angles all around.


Needless to say, I am excited. I hope that my stretch-n-sew method holds up and I don't wear this to work and it falls apart in the middle of a rousing lesson on nutrients or something. Yikes. ANYWAY! Yay, mod stuff.


Garment Features:

Knit Fabric
Back neck zipper
hand-stitched hem

3 comments:

  1. Cute! Wear it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to fix one more thing... maybe Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually I'm not a huge clothes guys, but this is actually quite gorgeous for period wear! Goes well with the shoes and necklace. ;)

    And putting that offer out there again to be your final shots come-to guy!

    ReplyDelete